In Michigan and anywhere else in the country, it’s essential to have a police report taken after a car accident. It’s normal to call the police after an accident, especially if there is a lot of damage or injuries. Once the authorities arrive, they will assess the situation and call in the appropriate support teams. You will have to answer questions and provide information to the officers. This is one of the most critical steps to take after an accident.
Collecting the police report after an accident well shield you from insurance companies, as well as legal retribution from other drivers. A police report will give a detailed account of who is at fault. It’s the best proof you can get.
Why is a Police Report So Important?
There is one chief reason why a police report is so important. It’s necessary to claim no-fault PIP benefits from your insurance provider. These are benefits that everyone can receive regardless of who was at fault for a collision. A proper police report ensures everyone involved gets coverage for:
- Lifelong medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Benefits that go toward lost wages for a total of three years
- Replacement services lasting three years
- Survivor’s loss benefits if the accident resulted in a fatality
A person who receives a copy of the police report should immediately read through it. Make sure everything is factual before submitting the document to an insurance company. If there are errors in the story provided to the insurance company, it can create problems in receiving PIP benefits.
Police Reports and Collisions Involving Trucks
In Michigan, an accident involving a semi-truck also requires a police report. There are a few reasons why it’s so important to have this done immediately. They include the following:
- A person needs the document to file a claim to receive benefits as injuries sustained after an accident involving a truck tend to be more severe.
- Paperwork is necessary to file a complaint against the truck driver, the trucking company and the insurance company for the trucking company.
- Another reason it’s essential for a person in an accident with a truck to obtain a police report is that the trucking company’s insurance carrier and investigators tend to move quickly to get evidence to minimize the driver’s liability for an accident.
Commercial drivers have a set of laws in each state that they must adhere to. It’s important to let the proper authorities know if a truck driver is engaging in dangerous behavior on a regular basis to avoid future disasters.
How to Obtain a Police Report
A person can obtain a copy of a police report online or in person. Generally, the police department makes the reports available online through certain websites that require a small fee. It’s important to have vital information to obtain the records, including the drivers’ names, the police department that responded to the collision and the incident report number.
After Speaking to Police, Talk to a Qualified Detroit Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one are in are injured in a car accident, it’s important to reach out to an experienced car accident attorney to protect yourself and get the compensation you deserve. A knowledgeable lawyer from an auto accident and personal injury law firm in Detroit MI will be able to assist you along every step of the way. The Law Offices of Christopher Trainor & Associates has served the good people of Michigan for over 20 years, recovering over $200 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients during that span. To learn more about how we can help, contact our office today at 877-425-0743 today after calling the police.